Tuesday 5 October 2010

Child Benefit

I have always been pleased to receive this even though I have secretly thought it a bit daft that it the same amount is given to all and sundry despite your income and I can see why given the state of the economy that benefits need to be stopped somewhere and rather than cutting jobs cutting a bit of income from people might be a better answer.
What I can't understand is how it is done on ONE persons salary and not joint income. Therefore if one of you earns in excess of the higher tax bracket (roughly 44k) you lose the benefit but if both of you in the household earn just under it (so your household income could be in excess of 86k) you can still claim it. Madness. So people with twice as much family income still get it and those (predominantly I am guessing) with a stay at home Mum won't get it if their husband/partner earns over 44k.
Stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment