Wednesday 20 October 2010

Tesco Takeover

I blogged the other day about the new proposed Tesco coming soon to Woolwich. Doing some digging it appears that another Tesco is arriving, this time in Welling. From what I can gather it is going to be near where the new Morrisons is. Bet they are pleased about that!
I have no idea how big it is going to be but it is good to see that they are investing in the area. The little Tesco Express that has opened near the high street is always busy and is well stocked and I am fed up of trying to fight the traffic down at the Peninsular to get to Asda or Sainsbury and have recently been using Morrisons at Welling which is much closer. I shall take a drive and see if I can see where it will be..

5 comments:

  1. It's going to be directly opposite the Morrisons at the traffic lights on the highstreet which just seems bizarre to me. They are also building some houses there too. I think traffic in that little bit is going to be a nightmare :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. How odd in those new flats opposite? Guess that would make sense it's rather a large space below them. Wonder where the car park will be. I don't think the Morrisons one is really big enough...
    I do think it's strange that they are going to be opposite one another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that tescopoly site has been controversial for some time, it's been touch and go whether they'd actually get away with building it, mainly due to planning problems and the treatment of the neighbours - but tesco have quite a high success rate when it comes to putting new supermarkets in high street locations.

    the morrisons took over an old co-op foodstore, and is terribly cramped inside.

    welling high street is a bit special as it has a lot of independent traders operating there, many of them small family run businesses. i imagine it might be a bit intimidating for them with these big fish moving in...

    I hope the rival supermarkets don't start selling clothes and so on in efforts to destroy each other, this could have a negative impact on the whole high st.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever noticed how many cafes there are on welling high street? Makes me mighty jealous. Mind you they are all full of builders at the moment.
    I also hope that a lot of the shops keep going, especially the sewing centre as such places are fast dying out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does have a nice mix of shops although I confess none that I would travel to Welling for. The clothes shops are low end and I prefer Eltham high street where you have a mix of local shops plus Next, M&S and the lovely shops at the top of Well Hall Road just before the junction with the high street. I really like http://www.chapmansfinedecor.co.uk/ Chapmans Fine Decor.
    I quite like Tesco and Sainsbury for the fact they do sell clothes and homeware, Morrisons doesn't really seem to branch into that area.

    ReplyDelete