Friday 12 March 2010

walking tour..

I've been doing a fair bit of wandering around recently now that the sun has been out. Cold still, but I love it when it is cold and sunny. Anyway I have been up hill and down dale and walking around a lot of the streets I have not been to before. There are some really nice houses around Plumstead and Shooter's hill and some of them are quite a size. I am guessing that it wasn't always quite the run down place parts of it are today. I am amazed by the sizes of some of the houses that are now flats, especially around the common road and at the junction with Burrage road for instace. Some of the houses on Red Lion Lane are also just stunning and what views from there, the clear days have provided just the most awesome backdrops. I am quite jealous of the people who can look out of their sitting rooms at that view of London including the Eye, Wembley etc. My favourite at the moment is a house on Occupation lane (private road, it's like you are driving in the countryside) which has a glass front. Great for nosying in, and what a view that must be (god knows what they pay the window cleaner)!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that some of the houses around here are beautiful. A lucky friend has a garden that looks out over Canary Wharf and a lot of the other surrounding areas.
    Have you seen the houses in Eltham...so huge.
    My neighbours have lived in Plumstead for over 30 years and tell me how grand Woolwich town centre used to be..it was a top destination for Londoners. They describe the department stores and the tea shops where they used to go as ladies that lunch. I am surprised they have stayed around here (esp as one was recently mugged by a bastard youf who left her with a black eye and broken wrist for less than £5) but I'm glad they are around to remind us how great the area was in the hope that one day, it will be again.

    ReplyDelete