Friday 8 January 2010

Brrrr.....

What I like about the snow and when the UK has come to a standstill is the way that on the whole people pull together and there is a real sense of community. People check in on their elderly neighbours, pop to the shops for one another, lend each other tins of beans etc...Having lived in London for over 10 years Plumstead is by far the friendliest area that I have lived in, in terms of knowing the names of my neighbours, using the same shops where there is familiarity and even being friendly with the lady in the ticket office as she is about the only person I see there. It makes a huge difference to know that should my house fall down around my ears that there are people locally who would help and not as in so many cases in London just step over it and continue. Perhaps this is because Plumstead is more of an established area, in terms of people having grown up here or lived here for a number of years whereas other more Central areas are transient and the sense of community is lost.
So well done Plumstead!

No comments:

Post a Comment