Wednesday 20 January 2010

Rhubarb and Custard

I read recently that a group of 4 Mums in Lee have decided to club together and open a tea shop selling home baked cakes called Rhubarb and Custard. It looks like it is being run primarily as a place where people can gather with their children but that it is also open to all members of the community. My God that is what Plumstead desperately needs by the Common. Somewhere with enough seating for parents and children and enough space for pushchairs. I love a good home made cake as well.
I really like the coffee shop at the East Greenwich Pleasaunce so that is what my vision is, shame I can't bake...
I often trot around the Common and it is such a shame that there isn't somewhere to pop into. The Sandwich shop on the Slade is about the closest thing to a coffee shop and that only has a breakfast bar to perch at...

5 comments:

  1. Not a fan of Tony's caff then?
    I read the same story and think it's really great. Hoping to get over to Lee sometime to check out the cafe. I also need to try out the smoothie place on Lakedale road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never set foot in Tony's. It always seems to be closed or has about 8 white vans parked outside it so you can't see all the builders in the window! Such a shame as it is a prime spot. I say a silent "cafe/bistro" prayer everytime I drive past it! I have been to the Daily 5 cafe though and really like it, it's just the wrong side of the common for me. I think a cafe by the common would get more passing trade. I'm also still waiting to see if anything exciting happens to the old Woodman pub.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep I agree. I steer clear of Tony's for the same reason and just walk back to my house which is not far. Have you seen the plans for the school which look interesting. Hopefully that will kickstart more developement around the common although part of me loves the natural feel of the place.
    http://www.plumsteadmanor.com/bsf.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to Tony's a few times with my father-in-law (it's become a tradition to pop in for egg on toast before driving him back to the airport). It's what you'd expect from a local greasy spoon: gruff but friendly, basic nosh, dead cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I really like the look of the school plans - maybe they'll open their cafeteria to tots!
    I'm not sure if it's the bars on windows that puts me off Tony's. I can cook myself something greasy what I can't do is cook myself a Sunday roast..Not sure why Tony doesnt realise he is potentially sitting on a goldmine of a location..

    ReplyDelete